Millions of Americans – about one in 50 of all adults – experience a herniated disc each year. Depending on the severity of their condition, many of them control the pain with treatments such as over-the-counter medication, physician-administered cortisone injections, prescription muscle relaxers, or physical therapy, or they may agree to having invasive (and risky) back surgery to find relief.
However, according to numerous clinical studies, nonsurgical herniated disc treatments tend to yield better results than surgery does. These minimally invasive and noninvasive spine treatments also significantly reduce complication rates, and they result in a much shorter recovery time as compared to having a surgical discectomy.
Let’s talk about some of the most effective ways in which you can treat a herniated disc naturally, and where you can go in Caldwell for outstanding nonsurgical treatment of your back pain.
How Does a Spinal Disc Become Herniated?
Your spinal column consists of vertebrae (bones) that are stacked in one long row. Between each set of two adjacent vertebrae is an intervertebral disc that acts as a strong and resilient cushion, and each disc protects your spine while enabling it to move and twist smoothly.
With all of that movement and pressure on your spine all day every day, a disc can become a bit worn down. A herniated disc can therefore develop when the outer layer of the disc (annulus) is torn, and so the soft inner portion (nucleus) of the disc protrudes through the rupture. This can cause the herniated disc to press on or irritate a nerve which, in turn, can lead to pain, numbness, or weakness.
Nonsurgical Herniated Disc Treatment
Ideally, surgery for a herniated disc should be a last resort, not the first and only solution. Nonsurgical treatments for a herniated disc include the following:
- Ozone Injection Treatments – Ozone disc injections work to relieve pressure on your irritated spinal nerve by shrinking the herniated portion of the disc. Unlike surgery, these injections do not reduce the disc height or alter the anatomy of the disc, but they do improve the long-term health and integrity of the disc.
The ozone injection procedure not only treats herniated discs by effectively reducing pain, but also contributes to the long-term health of discs by:
- Stimulating the cells in the annulus (the tough exterior of the disc) to repair the herniation
- Signaling your body’s own stem cells to mobilize to the area and repair the tear
- Improving the ability of the cells to cope with oxidative stress
- Decreasing inflammation
- Improving blood flow to the area, thereby facilitating healing
- Increasing lymphatic drainage and natural removal of toxins from the area
Ozone disc injection treatment is often superior to spine surgery in several ways:
- It does not create major trauma to the body like invasive surgery does.
- It does not cause surgery-related risks or side effects.
- An ozone disc injection procedure does not carry the risk of “failed back surgery syndrome,” which develops in more than 25% of people who undergo spine surgery.
- The ozone disc injection procedure can be safely repeated if necessary, as its good effects are cumulative.
- Ozone disc injection helps to shrink the herniated portion (and only that portion) of the disc that is pressing on or irritating a spinal nerve, causing back pain. The rest of the disc remains intact and unchanged.
- Stem Cell Treatments – Stem cells are unique, pure, “blank” cells which are present in the body and have an innate ability to help your body repair itself naturally. These cells can become various types of cells when necessary, such as following an accident or a sports injury.
When you are injured, regenerative stem cells act as your body’s first responders, migrating to the area of injury or disease to help repair the damage. For example, stem cells can potentially repair a damaged disc, restore function to the back, rehydrate the disc, and ultimately alleviate your chronic back pain.
Herniated Disc Doctor Serving the US and Canada Residents
As head of the medical team here at Alternative Disc Therapy, Dr. Warren Bleiweiss has helped countless patients relieve their herniated disc pain with oxygen ozone injection therapy. The oxygen ozone disc injection procedure is just one of the spine treatments we perform routinely with positive outcomes that are undeniable.
To learn more about these game-changing, natural treatments for herniated discs and back pain, schedule a consultation with Dr. Bleiweiss by calling Alternative Disc Therapy today at (973) 403-3334 or by filling out our convenient appointment request form online now. For your added convenience, we also offer telemedicine appointments. We look forward to serving you!
Herniated disc cases – Fjeld OR, Grøvle L, Helgeland J, Småstuen MC, Solberg TK, Zwart JA, Grotle M. Complications, reoperations, readmissions, and length of hospital stay in 34 639 surgical cases of lumbar disc herniation. Bone Joint J. 2019 Apr;101-B(4):470-477. [PubMed]
Treatments for herniated discs – https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/herniated-disk/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20354101