No matter how well they maintain their health, most people will experience back pain at some point in their lives. Back pain in adults is the leading cause of disability and the most common reason people call in sick to work.
If you’re lucky, your back pain will be a mild ache that only lasts for a few days– resulting from a strained muscle while on the job, doing household chores, or participating in a sports activity. However, if you suffer from severe, chronic back pain that never seems to disappear due to a serious injury or degenerative disease, you may need to find a better way to treat your condition than just taking ibuprofen or getting a cortisone shot.
Such short-term measures only temporarily relieve back pain symptoms instead of addressing its root cause. On the other hand, there is an effective, alternative medical solution for chronic back pain – ozone injections.
Let’s learn more about ozone injections and where you can get these in Caldwell, New Jersey.
Treating the Cause of Chronic Back Pain
Chronic back pain can be caused by many different factors, including mechanical or structural problems with the spine, discs, muscles, ligaments, or tendons on the back or compression of a nerve, inflammatory conditions, and other medical conditions. Common back ailments include:
- Sprains to the ligaments that support the spine, which often occur when twisting your body or lifting improperly.
- Strains, which are injuries to a back muscle or tendon.
- Degenerative disc diseases, such as arthritis or spinal stenosis, causes the discs between the vertebrae of the spine to break down.
- Herniated or ruptured discs in the lumbar (lower back) or cervical (neck) spine that compress and irritate nearby nerves.
- Spondylolisthesis is a condition in which a vertebra in the spine slips out of place or gradually moves out of alignment.
- Spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the spinal canal, puts pressure on the spinal cord and nerves.
- A fractured vertebra.
- Scoliosis (curvature of the spine).
- Myofascial pain is a disorder in which you feel tightness and pain in the muscles supporting the spine, often due to damage to repeated injury or muscle overuse.
Your back pain may also be caused by an inflammatory condition, such as ankylosing spondylitis, a specific form of arthritis of the spine, or by other medical conditions, such as:
- Osteoporosis is a decrease in bone mass and density that can lead to painful fractures of the vertebrae.
- Fibromyalgia is a condition that causes pain and tenderness throughout the body.
- Kidney stones or infections.
- Endometriosis, which is a buildup of uterine tissue in the area outside the uterus.
- Infections that involve the bones of the spine or the discs between these bones, can cause back pain.
Whatever the cause of your back pain, it can be significantly relieved without surgery or habit-forming medicinal pain relievers by undergoing oxygen-ozone injection treatments.
How Ozone Relieves Back Pain
Clinical research has confirmed that intramuscular lumbar paravertebral injections of ozone are minimally invasive, safe, and effective in reducing pain, as well as disability, in a wide range of pathologies, including bulging and herniated discs, spondylolisthesis, and lumbar stenosis.
Ozone (O3) is a super-charged molecule of oxygen that has been used worldwide by medical professionals in treating joint and muscle pain for more than 100 years. When medical grade oxygen-ozone is injected into a painful area, it provides multiple benefits that relieve pain and improve one’s overall health and well-being.
In 2021, researchers published findings of ozone’s efficacy in helping 109 patients with lower back pain in the journal Biomolecules. While noting that pain is a common symptom related to the inflammation process, the doctors acknowledged that oxygen-ozone played a significant role in managing inflammation and as an antioxidant that induced pain relief by stimulating the body’s anti-inflammatory response. They attributed this to the fact that oxygen-ozone therapy positively affected human tissue due to the moderate oxidative stress produced by its interactions with biological components.
Oxygen-ozone is an anti-inflammatory painkiller, enhances circulation, and is a tissue repair mechanism. When injected into a painful area, medical ozone shots can safely and successfully treat various medical conditions, including back and neck pain, arthritis, joint and/or muscle pain, disc herniations, and sports injuries. Importantly, they serve as a viable alternative to conventional injection treatments, as well as several invasive procedures such as knee replacement or shoulder surgery – not to mention boost a sluggish immune system.
Ozone Shots for Pain in Caldwell, New Jersey
If you are looking for ozone injections, consult with Dr. Warren J. Bleiweiss at Alternative Disc Therapy in Caldwell, New Jersey, a leading expert on regenerative medicine and ozone injections for more than a decade. The procedures are conducted in an office setting except for ozone injection treatments for disc herniations, which are performed with fluoroscopic guidance at an outpatient surgical center.No anesthetic is necessary, and nitrous oxide is available upon request for patients who are uncomfortable with injections or have high anxiety about needles. What’s more, there is no downtime with ozone injections. Once your treatment is completed, you can resume your normal activities.
In addition to providing ozone injections for back pain, Dr. Bleiweiss also provides other types of ozone treatments, such as optimizing your immune system to defend against viral infections.
To learn more about the advantages of ozone injection treatment from one of the leaders in the field, call our practice today at (973) 403-3334. If you would like to schedule a consultation, fill out our interactive online appointment request form. For your added convenience, we also offer telemedicine appointments.